People are becoming more aware of the benefits of eating fermented foods but do not know why they are so good for us or what foods are fermented. During the natural process of fermentation, microbes are produced contributing to gut-friendly probiotic effects. Fermented foods go through a process in which bacteria feed on the starch and sugar in food. This produces beneficial probiotics. The natural fermentation process has shown to preserve nutrients and breaks down food for easier digestion.
1. Yogurt is beneficial due to the probiotic content. It contains billions of live active bacterial cultures, which support digestion. The best choice is to choose plain yogurts and top with your own fresh fruit as flavored yogurts tend to be very high in sugar. Yogurt that contains added sugar may be counterproductive because sugar is food for pathogenic bacteria.
2. Kimchi is typically a spicy fermented cabbage. It is made with cut cabbage, scallions, radish and a paste made of garlic, ginger, sugar, red pepper and either kelp powder, salted shrimp or fish sauce.
3. Saurkraut is also fermented cabbage. It is similar to kimchi but more finely cut. It only contains water, salt, and cabbage. It is best consumed raw as heating kills off the beneficial bacteria. Saurkraut contains a slightly sour taste due to its lactic acid content.
4. Kombucha is fermented tea with a source of sugar. After fermentation, kombucha is carbonated and contains a high concentration of acid, vinegar, enzymes, probiotics, and enzymes.
5. Kefir is a fermented dairy beverage rich in calcium, which tastes like drinkable yogurt. There are high levels of different vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and probiotics.
6. Kefir Water is a mix of water and fruit brewed with a probiotic cocktail called water kefir grain.
Why Fermented Foods and Drinks?
Overall, probiotics in foods and drinks will introduce beneficial bacteria into your digestive system. These foods may also aid digestion, improve bowel health, and enhance immunity. Food may also be absorbed more efficiently because of the proper balance of gut bacteria and digestive enzymes. Consuming a healthy diet with fermented products will help absorb many nutrients from the foods you eat.