During the fall season, pumpkin flavored items stack up on grocery shelves. While these items are convenient, there is nothing better than making them from scratch in your own home. There are many ways to use canned pumpkin puree in recipes. Let’s think beyond pumpkin pies or breads and get creative in the kitchen with the following ideas.
1. Pumpkin spice lattes is a popular drink for the fall season. They make it at your local coffee shop, but why buy it when you can make it yourself? To make a latte, mix together 2 tbsp canned pumpkin, ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice, 2 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp vanilla extract, 2 cups milk, ¼ cup shots espresso and ¼ cup heavy cream.
2. Pumpkin flavored dips such as hummus are a great way to use up your leftover canned pumpkin. Make a dip for your pita chips or crackers during football weekends. Blend a few tablespoons of pumpkin puree into your hummus to give it a nice twist of fall flavor.
3. A bowl of warm oatmeal is a delicious & nutritious breakfast to start off any morning in a cozy way. Stir in 1-2 tbsp of pumpkin puree into your cooked oatmeal along with some pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon & maple syrup.
4. Stir it into your chili. Chili is a versatile recipe so flavors can easily be tweaked and still taste great. Adding a couple tablespoons of pumpkin puree to your chili won’t drastically change the flavor, but is just enough to give it a subtle, sweet taste that is unique and delicious!
5. Ice Cream isn’t only for the summer days! Make pumpkin banana nice-cream by blending together 1-15oz can pumpkin puree, ½ tsp pumpkin spice, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 6 Medjool dates and 5 frozen bananas. Top it off with some crumbled walnuts or graham crackers for a perfect treat.