An Allergy to Kiwi?

Kiwis are amazing, in regards to both taste and nutritional value, let us agree on that. However, kiwis are harbingers of allergies for a select population. For such an unassumingly small, fuzzy and even cute fruit, it sure can cause more than its share of problems. Kiwi comes in a variety of names such as Chinese gooseberry or macaque peach. It has risen in popularity, but that has also brought forth a worldwide increase in allergic reactions. 

For those of us who are not allergic to kiwis, it is an amazing addition to our diets. Per kiwi, there is as much potassium as a banana, more vitamin C than an orange. It also contains vitamin A and E, and its seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. They are high in fiber (eating the skin can triple the amount of fiber) and kiwis also have antioxidant properties in addition to all of its other benefits.

SO HOW DO PEOPLE GET ALLERGIES FROM KIWIS?

Despite all of those amazing benefits, kiwi can be quite a problem. The good thing is that reactions are limited to itching and inflammation in the mouth and throat. However some people  can experience more serious symptoms, including abdominal pain, vomiting, difficulty breathing and even anaphylactic shock. The flesh can cause problems, but the majority of the problems arise from ingestion of the skin, which is difficult to avoid consuming. 

KIWI SALAD