With the wide array of coffee shops, Starbucks and cafés that are on almost every corner, it’s no wonder our culture is obsessed with getting that mid-day caffeine fix. We love it so much that we even have multiple coffee makers, brewers and gadgets at home that all make that same thing, a cup of coffee. But what if coffee is not an option for you? For many migraine sufferers, coffee is an absolute no. Sure there’s hot tea, but even that is a trigger in others. So, what are you left with, if you still want a mid-day pick-me-up without the adverse effects that coffee can carry?
Luckily, there are many “coffee alternatives” on the market that are the perfect coffee substitute. One of my favorites is the Teeccino line of herbal coffees. This product is naturally caffeine free, but offers a nice energy boost from all natural herbs. Best of all, you can still make your favorite “coffee” lattes, without the migraine. Give it a try and let me know what you think!!
Teeccino Hazelnut Latte
1-11 oz bag Teeccino Hazelnut
10-12 oz milk of choice
Optional: sweetener to taste (honey, stevia, raw sugar, agave)
- Add 2 rounded tablespoons of Teeccino to 10 oz of milk or non-dairy milk.
- Heat the milk on the stovetop or in a microwave until it is very hot but not scalded.
- Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Pour the milk through a strainer into a mug to remove the Teeccino grounds. You may need to stir the grounds a little to keep the milk flowing through the strainer.
- If you have a milk frother, whiz up some frothy milk on the top of the cup.
- Add ground cinnamon or powdered cocoa to the.
*Recipe adapted from http://teeccino.com/recipes/3132/Teeccino-Latte.html